Sunday, March 1, 2009

Good and bad news.

I'll get the bad news out first. We had an accident tonight at the barn. I was letting Victor out after feeding, and it was dark. Well, nobody told me there was ice outside that particular door, and you can't see it because it's so dark. Victor slipped and fell, hitting his mouth in the process. His mouth looks okay, but he knicked it pretty good because it was dripping a little bit of blood.

But he's down on the ice now and my worst fear would be a broken leg. So I keep him calm and my mom gets dirt and starts shoveling it under his feet for footing. We got several blankets and laid them out over the ice as well. He gets up and we finally manage to get him back into the barn, and the good news is, he's weight bearing on all legs, so I don't think anything is broken. He's a little ouchy on his left hind leg, but at least he can walk on it. There was no swelling yet, and I'm going back first thing tomorrow to check on him. We left him in his stall overnight with a little bit of bute. I think he's going to be bruised, but it could have been a lot worse. I know it hurt going down. I feel bad. And the show is now compromised. I have no idea if he'll be able to go. We're going to get the vet out tomorrow and go from there. I'm just grateful he's okay.

I am pretty pissed that no one told me that area was icy. No phone call, no note. And I know at least two people knew about it. I just found out a little too late.

Shall we move on to the good news? Well, I lunged Victor over a cross rail, and it was his first jump this year. He freaked out a little at first and launched over it like it was a four foot oxer, but he calmed down after a while and went over at a quiet pace. So all in all, he did good for having most the winter off. Now if only he gets a clean bill of health from the vet. I can handle coontusions. Bone injuries scare me. I'm praying.

I also lunged Norman over trot poles for the first time ever. He went over those poles like he's been doing it all his life. :) I couldn't believe it. It was even graceful, which is a rare occurrence for him. I was so impressed. The video was taken when he was getting tired, so he's moving a little slow. You get the idea, though. Not bad for a greenie, huh?



I need to get polo wraps for him. I can't find any boots that are big enough. ;P

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, scary! I'm glad you both seem to be OK! I wish people were more considerate of others.

    ReplyDelete