Wednesday, March 9, 2011

People make me mad.

There's a horse property (if you can call it that) right on top of the highway, which I drive past every time I go to and from the city. I'm convinced the owner is a horse dealer.

Now, I know it's really none of my business (unless the animals start deteriorating. If that happens, I will raise hell with Animal Control). But it bothers me nonetheless.

Back when we first moved, there were several pregnant mares in the little pasture (there's also a tiny dry lot, which is a swamp most of the time). The mares all eventually had their foals, but they didn't stay there long. The horses all started disappearing until one gelding was left in the pasture, and a couple 2-year-olds in the dry lot. The gelding was actually pretty good-looking. Anyway...

As of a few weeks ago, the gelding and youngstock are gone, and several new yearlings took their place. Actually, they look like coming 2-year-olds. They're all in the tiny dry lot with a few calves, and are currently ankle-deep in muck. He's also got a sign out front advertising horses for sale. This is what makes me think "broker".

But here's what really irks me: The property itself is a pig sty. The fencing is barbed wire with uncapped t-posted, and there's junk everywhere. It's a horse death trap, especially for the young ones. When the foals were there, I was just waiting to drive by and find one caught up in the fence.

Also, the hay he feeds them is black. The same round bail has been sitting in the yearling paddock for over a month. The horses aren't terribly thin as far as I can see, but they look like yaklings right now, so I'll have to wait till they shed out. They do look wormy, though. And filthy.

I just don't like it. Sometimes I avoid going past there, but I want to keep an eye on the place in case things start going downhill. I know I sound like a nosy neighbor, but when it comes to animal welfare, I don't really care.

No comments:

Post a Comment