Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Midwest Horse Fair!


It was pretty sweet. I saw Fandango again. ;D He's my favorite. Santiago wasn't there, but it was still cool. His talking robot head was there, of course. The cowboy dude kinda creeps me out, but I like the talking horse head.

My mom almost took home a baby donkey. I almost took home a Fjord. XD I love those. There was a really nice, big, stocky mare for sale. I didn't like most the Quarter Horses, though. They were all downhill, except one or two. It's scary that a fault like that is becoming standard in the stock breeds. I'm seeing more and more downhill Gypsies, too.

I have a weird thing about Haflinger people now. We were by the Haflingers and my mom bought a ticket for the filly they were raffling. Now, my mom and I aren't exactly pony people. We're both tall, meaty, and big-boned. So I was like, "What in the world would you do with a Haflinger?" And the girls working the booth piped up all of the sudden and were like, "What can't you do with a Haflinger?! Vaulting, jumping, dressage. You can take them anywhere!" ... Apparently they didn't notice that I'm 5'9 and can't ride anything smaller than 15hh.

... O.o They were kind of psychotic. It was kinda funny. They were like Quarter Horse enthusiasts, only with Haflingers. Okay, so when's the last time you saw a Haflinger in the Olympics? The Grand Prix? The Rolex competitions? Didn't think so. And besides that, we're both too tall to ride a 14.2 hh pony. So, uh, I have no clue what we're going to do on the off chance hell freezes over and we win the filly. lolz

This Saddlebred was amazing. And big. He must have been 16.3hh. And the tack. Is it as expensive as the horse? Jeez. I wish I was that rich (don't we all?). This lady obviously has money out the wazoo.

Most of the horses were immaculately groomed and very well cared for, but there was this one barn that had some underweight horses. This was weird. I don't know if they were rescues or what, but they weren't clipped or anything. It didn't even look like they'd been brushed. I know they weren't old, not that age is an excuse. They certainly weren't in riding condition. I don't know about you, but I'd be extremely ashamed and embarrassed to have anyone see my horses looking like that. I don't know what the story was with those few horses, but they didn't look that good. Did anyone else go? If so, did you see the horses I'm talking about? Unless they're representing a rescue organization or something, it baffles me why anyone would bring their horses anywhere when they look neglected and dirty. I wish I could have found the owner.

And, the icing on the cake, here's a little video clip of Fandango in the stallion review. :)
I love his movement. And his mane! I was practically drooling when the girl was brushing his mane in the stall. It was so long and shiny and wavy... And he stood perfectly still the whole time. Such a perfect gentleman. *swoons*

No comments:

Post a Comment